On 25 July please consider participating in this year's APRS Golden Packet Attempt along the Appalachian Trail (and Pacific Coast Trail). Please see www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html and also page 99 in July's QST. There is also an effort being made this year on the West Coast see www.aprs.org/pct-golden-packet.html.
All it takes is a mobile with a D700 or FTM-350 to drive up to the top of the mountain and park for 4 hours.
Many teams have formed, but the New England area has many gaps from New York to Maine:
- Sam's pt NY (not manned in 2009)
- Mt Greylock
- New Hempshire (innop in 2009)
- Mt Washington (2009 team all moved to texas)
- Middle Maine (not manned in 2009)
- Mt Katahdin (not manned in 2009)
We still have not formed solid teams from these southern sites:
- Huntsville AL
- Lookout Mountain TN
- Roan Mountain NC (maybe)
- Comer's rock VA (not operational in 2009)(near Wythville)
- Apple Orchard Mtn (near Roanake
It's a 4 or 5 hour event on Sunday Afternoon and a great way to escape the heat down below by getting up there on the mountain top. If you cannot participate, spread the word, and find an out-doors type that can. Most sites are DRIVE-UP sites, so just about anyone with a car and a D700 or FTM-350 can participate as a temporary digi site after proper set-up.
Think of it as APRS Field Day.
Post a Comment